Thursday, October 11, 2007

Going through sufferings and pain..

Had you ever feel that sometimes you wished you could go back time, and wished you could do something to stop something you don't want from happening? Had you ever regretted that you did something wrong and wished you never done it? Had you ever wished that the very thing that's happening now would not had happen and you wish it's just a dream? Had you ever feel so useless and so angry at yourself for letting a certain things from happening? or.. Had you ever feel so bad and sad because of a certain things that happened?

i think all of us had that before, whether big or small.. things that we wished it wouldn't happen yet it happened.. And your heart it just feels so bad or sad or broken.. sometimes we may say it's alright but deep down our heart is hurting.. deeply hurting as if thousands of knife came piercing through your heart and crushing it and slicing it till bits and pieces.. that feeling of hurt that would come to everyone could be happening to you to me or to anyone around you..but no doubt..all of us will one day feel that pain..
It's just tough to handle this emotions sometimes, whether in or out.. it feels like crying.. either tears from your eyes.. or tears from your heart..

There are many many parts of my life that tasted like that too. it's hard to go through it..it really is tough..but let us stop here for a moment or two..cause there's something that's important for you..it may not be true for you..but it always helped me through:p..i think you would also wonder why that such things actually happens..and most importantly why did God let it happen? let's search for an answer for it...

Psalm 119:71
The suffering you sent to me was good for me, for it taught me to pay attention to your principles.

Psalm 119 was one of the longest psalms in the whole bible, it is written by an anonymous person though some suggested that it is the Ezra the priest who wrote it.. Priests and prophets who followed God faces a lot of troubles and sufferings.. Faithful and upright people of God are people who would stand up for God and hear God's voice and tell the people.. but very often they would be the ones who needs to speak something against the people's will especially when they sin and fall..Therefore, they not just have to face the enemies of Isreal, but also faces dangers and persecutions from their own people, and as well as the results of sin, whether cause by them or the people.. it must be tough for them..

So, the psalmist was saying that the sufferings that You, which means God, sent to me(the psalmist) was GOOD for it taught me to pay attention to your principles. What was the psalmist trying to say here? the suffering that God sent to him was good for him? can you say to yourself when you face suffering that this is actually good for me?i think it's gonna be real tough to say that..

So what does it mean by good? good in what way? God is a all-knowing God and he knows and plans everything that happened.. so why did God allowed sufferings in our lives? i think that in all things that happened, God has a reason and plan for it..

So what's this purpose of suffering that we need to go through? let's take for example..there's a kid who fell down and hurted himself.. the kid asked himself why do i have to go through all this pain and stuff? why? because he fell.. if you take that as a suffering, the psalmist would say it's good for him. why do you think that it is good? i think because of that fall, it could had saved his life.. imagine a child who never fell and never experience pain before, one day he just leaped off from a high place out of curiosity and fell to his death? the pain from a tiny fall actually teaches the kid alot of stuff and warns and lets him experience it, and making him be more careful to avoid from falling down again.. i think that, in a way that small fall the boy had, that "suffering", was good in a way. i think that's what the psalmist was trying to say.

There are many times we would face hardship and stuff..i wouldn't want to write much cause i know it's hard to read long long articles..but i just pray that as we go through sufferings and hardship..always remember that God is still here with us and He has plans to bring us back and bless us..

Hebrews 13:5
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,
"Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you.
"

Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

Deuteronomy 31:8
The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."


Joshua 1:5
No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.



May God give you strength and comfort in your most difficult times as you depend on Him.. He will always be faithful and true.. He never promise us a life that will have no suffering and failures at all.. but He promises us to always be with us and to help us go through it..

AMEN

1 comment:

Joel Lee Weng Yew said...

I write this first line having finished writing the rest of this. It's longer than your post. Sorry.

I think I have an inkling of what you mean. Not fully understanding, but appreciative of the condition you are in.

And well, the key through times like this is grace. Sometimes, when you think about it, life is full of regrets. Yet it is in the midst of past regrets, the the light of grace and mercy shines brighter.

I can't say it any better than this Piper sermon. And he sums up the gospel message in quite a stunning manner.

And I recalled writing on something like this quite a while back. But it's what I find beautiful about Crowder's Heaven Came Down:

Heaven came down and glory filled my soul/When at the cross my Savior made me whole/My sins were washed away/And my night was turned to day/When heaven came down and glory filled my soul/O what a wonderful wonderful day/Day I will never forget/When I was wandering in darkness away/Jesus my Savior I met/O what a tender compassionate Friend/He met the need of my heart/Shadows dispelling with joy I am telling/He made all the darkness depart/O what a wonderful wonderful day/And O what a glorious glorious day/The day you came, came to save me/O what a wonderful wonderful day/The day you came and you saved me

Never forget the day of your redemption. And never forget the times God touches you in your life. I've made that mistake several times. And have paid with regret. And have experienced sweeter joy when I recall those times and re-experience it right at that moment.

Not that you should set a precedent. We don't keep sinning so that grace abounds further but grace is here so we need no longer sin, but move on towards a joyous righteousness through love in faith.

Again, you might kind of understand why I like Crowder quite a bit. He's big on grace.